Saturday, July 10, 2010

Parrot Playground Solution

In addition to one of these,
I have one of these.


They each present their own difficulties.  Notice the paper bag?  It took me awhile to figure this out.  Here's the problem, parrots climb.  They also destroy everything within reach.  Anything you hang a parrot toy or playground from is fair game.  In fact, they are more likely to eat the thing it's hanging from than the toy itself, because it's higher up.  It took her beak about two seconds to break through the wood on the umbrella in the picture.  So, what is safe?  The answer is, nothing.
Solution:  You have to put something above their toy or playground that is flat and wide.  The shape is too awkward to climb around and any time they starts to get a handle on the edge of the bag, it tilts, making them further from the thing they're climbing after.  Genius.  It's kind of funny, but the flat side of a paper bag is pretty safe from their beaks because there's nothing to grab, so it lasts awhile.  Meanwhile, they wear themselves out trying to problem solve it in the back yard in the fresh air.  I suppose I could have used a flat piece of wood, but I didn't have one.  If I did, I would have to drill a hole in it and I don't have anything to do that with easily.  Plus, paper bags are free.  Bonus!  Reuse first, then recycle.

Awesome tip of the day:  Expensive toys?  No.  I started hanging an upside-down paper bag in her regular cage for her to play with.  I just stuff it through the bars and leave the flat side sticking out to keep it from falling through.  She loves to hang from the handles and chew on it.  Honestly, she likes the paper bag better than she likes most of her toys and it keeps her from chewing holes in her blanket.

Need other low budget parrot toy ideas?  I used a shoelace to tie an old potholder to the side of her cage.  From the same shoelace, I hung and old toothbrush (just wash it with hot water or put it in the dishwasher).  This is her other favorite toy.  She regularly shows the toothbrush who's boss, then goes to the other side of the cage to keep that paper bag in line.  Hours of fun.  Try it.  For a few bucks, you can also get those baby key rings or other baby teething toys.  See how smart your bird is.  Mine used to love to untie knots.  I would tie all kinds of complicated knots into a string, rope, or shoelaces and she would get them all out within 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment